Monday, November 20, 2006

Calypso

other people's blogs are so inspirational.

I was just reading Kevian's latest blog and went to do some research and instead came across alot of old time goodies. It taking me back all now. You know when back it was mainly calypso and soca was done by the up and coming untraditional types like Iwer, Machel etc

Crazy, Trinity, Drupatee, Denise Plumber, David Rudder, Kitchener, Sugar Aloes, Baron, Tambu, Blueboy aka Superblue..the list goes on and on but some time seems to have forgotten.

Crazy - whatever happened to him? he was always controversial and probably was crazy - I ain't know

Tambu - wheeyyy

Trinity - didn't he have a curry song whatever it was I remember this video on him always showing on tv that I couldn't get out of my head at one point in my life.
and the Denise Plumber video about she staying right here - I didn't understand all the animosity towards her back in those days but never mind.

I had loved "...tiny winy wine yuh bom bom.." back in the day that sounded rude to me lol.
And how many years in a row did Superblue win Road March? He was just banging out tunes dread.

David Rudder - Bahia girl & Bacchanal woman, Hammer his list is endless
I know I haven't mentioned loads of calypsonions but I ain't leaving out Gypsy with that jerri curl oh my word!

Memories of trying to see my dad on tv when his band was crossing the stage. While I was waiting I'd have the radio on in the background jumping & singing like a mad child as you do, while trying to keep time to the music with my pink sandals (when they were undone they made a nice jingly sound). I must have been very annoying lol.

It was just a big up to the ol' school that carried me through out my kiddies carnival days.
Can you really see yourself on the road dancing to some of these tunes NOW? It sounds sooo slow in comparison to the beats we hear these days, its almost unreal. I could see a whole lot of chipping going on but not much else. No disrespect don't get me wrong - maybe as a las lap or when you just need a break from the jumping up & getting on bad scene, it'd make a nice inbetweener. It felt good to listen to them and reminisce for a minute anyway.

http://www.trinijunglejuice.com/vintagecalypso.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that older music. Cause that was the music that we grew up jumping to for Kiddies Carnival and ting!

Icahwait* said...

Thx Kev.
I heard a nice remix at Nottinghill following some Jamaican truck of tiny winy, I think it was bounty killa (sounded like him) that was boss.
Pearl I was a little girl again last night lol

Icahwait* said...

oh gosh I can't remember all ah dat. I just remember it was a remix to the original and it was jamaican, it sounded hot. I was a bit 'distracted' to say the least...

Icahwait* said...

and it was a good gape too ;-) + I was wining nah.
I hope not, I wouldn't put it past his fass self though

Carnival Jumbie said...

Crazy have a new song called 'cold sweat ' that is getting a lot of airplay now.Its growing on me, it sound like a real drunk man tune though lolol

Icahwait* said...

I hadda go check it out where you find it?