Saturday, December 09, 2006

Carnival Gossip

Now these are just lil bits I picked up while I touched base with Trini this morning. How much of it will come to pass i ain't know, I just sharing anyway.

1. Bliss for 2007 may be in Moka - uncofirmed. they've checked out the area but not sure if they want to use it.

2. Red Ants should be doing a party for Christmas - (if on the day itself or just around Christmas I prob should have gotten more details on )


3. Route - bands should be using the same routes throught town etc, but instead of going to QPs as we know, it might be a matter of going round the QPS, which I have to say doesn't sound like a bad idea. Where they leave off from there is another issue. Ideas being thrown around still, band leaders are still undecided. - Cipriani boulevard, St Clair ave to end up by Roxy, Maraval Road - all which lead off from savannah way. So they should just be having judging points on the road, like how they do on Ariapta ave, downtown etc by the sounds of things.

4. The idea of having make up people on Mon & tues was brought up but is prob not very feasable considering the amount of time and amt of people as well. So highly unlikely. Although my fingers are still crossed for it. :-(

And in general converse the idea of planning & organisation was brought up. In respect to all the up and coming carnival bands (yuh know everybody bringing out a band these days - the more the merrier BUT...)

Carnival Mon & Tues on de road:
Where Tribe tend to be customer focused and listen to the opinions of the masqueraders and learn from past mistakes on how to improve on things. Other bands esp newbies may not realise the amt of preparation it really takes for them to get to that level. New bands want to follow fashion and be 'it' but not really taking into consideration what it takes to get there. When carnival come round they not up o scratch & shit hit the fan. Now I'm not saying that its all bad, I'm sure its good for most of the masqueraders. But good, is not good enough and good in comparison to the likes of Tribe may mean mediocre. This is the consensus from Carnival insider not mine, but I can agree.

Giving people the experience you advertise is hard work and they have to be putting it all in from now. When is Feb? I know that Dream team sticking on certain things, so if they want to really establish themselves and succeed on de road - heads up, eyes open.
I wish ALL the bands the best of course. Carnival is the Greatest Show on Earth not so? Emphasis on Show. The idea is to have alot of bands on the road showcasing their theme, as many as possible to make it interesting. And when new bands do it well,it establishes them for years to come and hence more choice for us the players brought foward.
I just want to make it clear that I am not some pro Tribe fanatic ranting away lambasting other bands (which I haven't). I'm just saying that its Feb soon, we already have the 'pleasure' of the no stage/route drama. Incase of any hiccups with the latter, the bands should make a real effort to come good so that things go as smoothly as possible Mon & tues as they should do anyway. Make it count!

Asses in gear starting blocks please!

7 comments:

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

Nice post! Thanks for all the "insider" gosip and I fully agree, when I am spending my hard earned money I think twice about taking a chance on some Newbie. Give them a chance to work out their kinks, prove themselves as providing a good product and then I might consider them for the future.

Icahwait* said...

Thanks Saucy. Like I say how much of the gossip is true me nah know.

Thing is alot of the newer bands are products of older bands i.e Poison but the carnival ball game is on a different level now than before. They have to keep up.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

Yuh know, costume alone cannot dictate which band to choose now,not when so much money is involved.

I have heard horror stories of private sections that used to be with Poison and I myself experienced collecting my costume on Carnival Sunday, costume falling apart on the road, drinks running out and being in the bowels of Poison the first time I played with them.

Icahwait* said...

I wouldn't EVER want to have that kind of exp nah it would really put me off.

So it is Tribe doing the Christmas party on 22nd Dec. sounds like a good lime IF I was there.
In the email received yesterday from Tribe they said about date of Bliss but no venue.

Anonymous said...

Hey, got the email last night.

I don't mind Moka for Bliss if it would mean more room since Jamboree didn't have room for people to sit and eat last year.

I might go to the Christmas party, but I don't really like to party at Lions :S

Icahwait* said...

Lions is an older people kinda lime I find. So I with you on that one.
up in de bush Moka lol. If you say it didn't really have enough room in Jamboree then maybe that is why they looking to switch location.

Icahwait* said...

I did mention what you said about room, and apparently it was one of the first things that they talked about after Bliss this year.
They did notice and are looking to improve on it as they know it would be a bigger crowd. you should prob give them a ring and see if they def doing moka or not