Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Back to work

Had to happen sometime.

87 emails later it wasn't even 10am yet steupse anyway. Like I said to everyone, I'm only killing time before I'm off again in less than 1 mth now (yipee).

After ommenting on Saucy's post last night, it makes me feel to post some of my own comments here.
Its just that the price of taking part in Carnival is really adding up. I'm not even there yet but I know I will feel it a bit, and still not sure how I really going about things as I've just come back from a holiday anyway. Its only going to be 2 weeks and I imagine that I'd want to party Fri, Sat, Wed, thurs, fri, sat. Now if I was still living in Trini I think it'd be a bit easier to pace myself and you'd really break the bank if you wanted to party round the clock, which I think that most people do. If you think about it the parties is start from band launchings go right up.
But for me this year is about catching up (something I've said before) After all them years of missing it, I have to go full swing this rounds to 'get it out my system'. I feel a bit controversial saying the latter but for me that's how its going to go. I don't have any forseeable PLANS to do it again in 08. So no matter how it happens I'm going to do all I feel I need to do to enjoy myself and make sure I ain't feel like I missing nothing.. I'm not going to make myself skint doing it, it'd be tight but I'd manage because it WORTH IT.
It'll be a special time as its my son's 1st, and the last time my husband was out there at carnival was when we first got together. He doesn't really care which fetes we go to, he'll have a good time at any soca party (he not keen on the machel though). He doesn't even have an idea as to how many fetes we going to hit and I really should let him in on it at some point too. But he doesn't like to hear me drone on about planning stuff.

Anywho, I can just imagine that there are people in Trini right now been paying to going to all these parties and will continue to do so till Ash Wed, liking theyself and I just don't know how its possible. Good for them. Normal people who aren't rich, how they doing it? My situation is I have the avg job, and my husband has a prof career -so where I can't afford he fills in ( and I feel guilty sometimes when those moments arrive however it DEPENDS). How many thousands you need to do everything you want to do in the Carnival season dread? That is like saving from the time carnival done till next carnival.

Which brings me to why I don't think I'll be doing it again in 2008. Where my son is old enough now we'd like to think that a couple of holidays abroad a year is reasonable to us. With those places generally being new to us. Now that we're all going for carnival this year its kinda off the 'to do list' unless my son really begs me to go again next year. I don't mind going off on my own if i'm desperate like I was last year. But I also have to APPLY to take him out of school and they're only allowed to have 10days off for the entire school year, the principal has to agree it. Carnival is always going to be during the school term. Then the other thing is that Carnival is a more costly vacation than it is to go elsewhere. I'd rather us all exp Trinidad at a time when we all haven't been. My husband is yet to exp a trini Christmas ( my family really want him to come for that), or it'd be nice to go out one year for my birthday which is July/Aug time. Maybe we can catch some good concerts and stuff. I hope you'll can understand. I don't want to just end up going once a year for one thing, because its not enough time to do all the other stuff I enjoy when I'm home. 95% of my friends do not like carnival and tend not to get involved. The weekends will be filled with kiddies carnival competitions, nights with fetting, and soon enough it will be the ever glorious Carnival Mon & Tues and then it'd be all over. Too soon.
Trinidad in 2008 is unlikely not written off, but unlikely.

I was also wondering what the carnival bloggers will blog about when the carnival done?

7 comments:

Kevianne said...

Girl I was thinking about creating a new blog to last until next carnival or maybe jus change the name of my blog to something else. I believe that this is my last year playing mass till I grad from med school.. which will be a long while form now.

Icahwait* said...

Prob just change the name in the meantime might be easier. You'd probab have to go back to your carnival memories.
Why won't you play inbetween?

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

haven't thought of what will happen after Carnival with the blog.... I suspect I will keep it going until I run out of Carnival talk and then I will fill it with other talk until August ...that's only 4 months!!

I am not too sure how Carnival '08 will play off for me. I am thinking it is time to start planning a family and unless I get the timing exact next month chances are conception might occur some other time in the year and I will miss Carnival '08.

Hence the reason I too plan on enjoying Carnival 2007 to the fullest!

Icahwait* said...

big plans there Saucy, I hope it all goes as you'd like it too.
I'm sure your blog would be fine anyway. And like you said, its only 4 mths after that is carnival.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

big plans is joke! If it does not go exactly as I plan I doh mind at all. I wasn't THAT serious about having a Carnival baby....only bout 90% serious LOL.

Icahwait* said...

I admire people like yourself that do things the 'right' way round. i.e fall in love, get married, then have kids.
In these modern times people don't really care unless your old enough though.
What the hubby making of these plans girl?

Karabana said...

I was wondering what'll happen to all these Carnival blogs too, y'all will have to go on hiatus for awhile.
Saucyd, check you out, keeping the Carnival baby tradition alive! :)