Friday, January 05, 2007

Lasik Wavefront

Oh gosh well the worse is done and over with. Where to start?

You HAVE to take someone along with you to the surgery (can't drive, and you could barely open your eyes after its done as your eyelids feel really heavy). Husband came along with me. They did 3 scans first of all, which were the same ones done when they checked my suitability for the op last month. That was all fine and then I had to wait to speak to the surgeon before the procedure as he has the last say to go ahead or not. In the meantime hubby went shopping.

I was in the waiting room for quite a while and hadn't seen the surgeon yet, when this woman who just had hers done came out. I couldn't even look at her, I just started to feel nervous one time. There were a few other people waiting to have the surgery done as well, and 'new eyes' lady was saying to us that it was fine, not to worry etc etc. I got on the phone and demanded to my husband that he come back and wait with me instantly. Couldn't take the anticipation and this woman there with her red stingy eyes. I was shaking inside from the time it started anyway, that kind of nervous inner buzz. And I think that everyone would feel some form of anxiety. One of the women waiting for her surgery said she'd been going to the toilet for 2 days she was that nervous.


Saw the surgeon who looked at my eyes breifly once more and said everything was ok to go ahead. The op takes about 20mins for both eyes if that. The anesthetic is local (drops put on your eyes) and you're wide awake for everything.


It was time and they put me in a chair and put it right down so that I'm lying flat. Started with my right eye first, they put tape on my eyelashes - fine. Put a patch over the left eye - fine. Time for the clamps, well Lord help me! They do advise you that you will feel some 'pressure'. The first metally clamps were bearable- fine. I felt PRESSUH for real when they put the clear plastic looking one over the eye area, then the suction began and so did my flinching. I'm a big baby so I'm sure it was easier for others. But its really those first bits BEFORE they actually start the laser procedure that was the hardest to deal with. It was uncomfortable which they tell you and they do apply the clamps to your eyes slowly. But I personally did not take to them well. And when they started on the left eye it was worse. I was panicky and I wasn't sure if I could see it through. Even though I grabbed on to my stomach as hard as I could and tried to resist when i felt my body wanting to flinch I couldn't stop myself. The surgeon stopped and asked me what was wrong, he kept repeating my name and said he couldn't do it if i It was all VERY embarrassing. I took longer than 20mins needless to say but got there in the end. I thought the surgeon woulda give me 2 cuff and shout at me to stay still lol.

Again to be clear ONLY the clamps gave me 'issues'. The actual procedure and rest of the surgery where they use the lasers and other tools on your eyeballs you CANNOT FEEL A THING! You're just looking up at the red light in the machine. There is a patch over the eye that they're not doing (which your supposed to keep that eye open as well) and its all over pretty quickly once they get started.

AFTER: Had to get my aftercare pack. Which includes 3 lots of drops to be applied 4 times a day; antibiotics, anti-inflammatory & lubrication drops. They also give you these goggles to sleep in, so you don't end up touching/rubbing your eyes while you're asleep. After having my what not to do talk, the surgeon had to give the flap they made a once over to make sure it was ok, then I went home. Had to have sunglasses for brightlight. I couldn't see for shit because my eyes were watering so much and your lids are heavy and naturally feel to close anyway - they advise you sleep for a bit which I did.
By late afternoon I could open my eyes but the vision is blurry a little bit. Today my eyes feel fine, no grittiness - felt a little yesterday. Haven't had any pains at all.
Been to check them up this morning and the optician said that everything is ok and as normal. My vision is more than 20/20 right now but still blurry a bit and will clear up in the coming days. The eyes can heal at different rates just so you know. I can drive once I feel comfortable to do so, and everything as normal except:-

No rubbing/touching eyes for a month.
No swimming, saunas, sunbeds, steamrooms for a month
No contact sports
No getting water in my eyes.
No pressure on upper eye lids
sleep with goggles for a week
Wear sunglasses outdoors/in brightlight
No eye make up for a week
Avoid smoky/dusty places for a week

15 comments:

buublenut said...

Jump up time to get on bad!
Clearly you will see all the man so be glad for the surgery you had. Its Carnival again!!!

Girl make sure to bring eye drops on the plane - the air different up there and you may not find that you need them but its when you don't have then that your eyes will bug you - the power of the mind.

So glad it went well, you must be so happy :)

Another thing is you have to avoid pressure. When I got my surgery done I couldn't box on the bags for a week or so the surgeon told me it would cause some pressure from the impact (avoid rough sex too - sorry had to say it, one day I got scared thought my eyes were going to burst out my damn head LMFAO) Also when working out mind the sweet don't do in your eyeballs :)

Icahwait* said...

awww Kevi thanks. I'm def ok and I'm sure its worth the little hassle. It have nothing that could stop the gaping and I hope it have plenty to go around lol ;-)

Icahwait* said...

Buuble girl you ain't easy. You had me buss one cackle there with your rough sex comment. I ain't go ask for details, but I will keep that in mind. Can't believe you said it but glad you did LOL.

How long you had to avoid water going in your eyes for?
I just hope my eyes will be able to deal with all that bright sunshine and heat. I'll have my sunglasses but I know I'm still in healing period almost

I hope that clear vision comes in by the end of the weekend. But I'll be ready for Carnival and 'all' that comes with it. Can't wait. Need to get my fishnets and my shoes are on sale.

Karabana said...

wow, I'm jealous, great for you I for doing it!!!!! I have been highly recommended to have laser for so long now, but can't afford it, it's outrageously expensive here, if I were to go one province over, the price is drastically reduced. :(
Reading about the clamps though, oh man, I would be flinching for sure. Hope your recovery goes well, the worst is over, yeah!

buublenut said...

Kevian she used to be blind you know :)

icahwait I remeber not being able to have water hit my eyes - it was real preassure for me in the shower because I one who love to just stick my head under the water and stand there. But I forget now, what they tell you a week or so? I am really finiky about alot of things so I was scared to get water in my eyes but once you do its fine and before you know if its like you never even had the sugery. The dr. told me that the salt wter was actully going to be good for my eyes. Just make sure you have the sunglasses you may find your eyes a little more sensitive to the sun then before but even so you will be fine without them.

Keep us updated on your progress, so glad to hear all is well.

Icahwait* said...

Kevian I had it for the convenience of not having to depend on my glasses 24/7. I had an astigmatism & short sighted. Everytime my glasses bent/broke (thank my son mostly) it was a hassle, I'd get headaches etc. glasses are exp anyway once you put all the extras on so I thought to have the surgery in the long run would be worth it.

Icahwait* said...

Karabana I'm sure buublenut will tell you that its def worth it, if you're thinking about having it done.
The right eye is fine and the clamps weren't bad on that one. What they tell you is that you'll feel discomfort & pressure, it is manageable. The person holding my hands was just saying you've been through childbirth, think of a life without specs.
What sort of price is it in Canada? You'd have to weigh out your pros and cons and if it makes sense for you to have it done in the long run.

Icahwait* said...

Buublenut they didn't actually say how long not to get the water in my eyes for, I will ask when I go to my check up next week.
Its reassuring to hear from someone who has actually been through it so thanks for that.

Icahwait* said...

the fact that the main procedure you don't feel a thing is pretty cool. But if you had to see a documentary or pics on it, you'd be pretty grossed out

Anonymous said...

Oh lawd girl! Ah jus glad everything went ok! Time for mas now!!

Icahwait* said...

you could say that again Pearl, catching up on the soca now self.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

wow! Thanks for the review. I would be nervous about the clamps as well, but it is worth it for more than 20/20 vision don't you think?

I am near/short sighted as well and get headaches when I am not wearing glasses of contacts. I am not "blind", my hubby is MUCH worse without his glasses/contacts, but everything is blurry.

Apart from the prices in Trinidad I would be wary of having it done here...don't trust the "doctors" that are offering it sad to say.

Icahwait* said...

How much is it in trini to have it done? It also depends on which procedures that they're offering what the healing will be like afterwards. Lasik is supposed to be pretty quick healing wise.

My vision still isn't what it should be at the mo. I am being a little paranoid cause you expect it to work like magic. Distance vision isn't so good, and small print is iffy. I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

Today was the first time I drove and that's fine. But I'm going to be driving in the dark in 10 mins so I'll see what that's like

Karabana said...

It would be $2,000 per eye. I will save up for it when I get a good job (not to mention build up my courage). I've worked in non-profit the last 8 yrs, so could never afford that. :(

Icahwait* said...

That is very expensive!